A number of the livestock cups were presented to the Society by Queen Victoria.
The Royal Isle of Wight Agricultural Society dates back to 1874. Queen Victoria became our first patron in 1882 and was a regular visitor to the Society’s annual show where she exhibited livestock from the Osborne Estate.
Over the years the main activity of the society has been the Royal Isle of Wight County Show. This was held on different sites around Newport and Ryde until the Society purchased the Northwood show ground. Earl Mountbatten of Burma, Governor of the Isle of Wight, formally opened the new site at the 1967 show.
The most recent Foot and Mouth outbreak on the mainland and the resulting restrictions on livestock movements had an impact on the Society and our ability to fund activities in accordance with our charitable aims. After a period of consolidation the Society has a plan to re-establish the Royal Isle of Wight County Show as the major countryside event for the benefit of the Island’s agricultural community and the enjoyment of residents and visitors.
The Society relies on the commitment of volunteers to ensure our continued success in supporting and promoting agriculture on the Island. We have a very active Executive Committee that meets regularly to plan and deliver both our fundraising and our work to support farming and related activities.
The Royal Isle of Wight Agricultural Society is delighted that Mrs Susie Sheldon JP, Lord Lieutenant of the Isle of Wight, agreed to become the Society’s President.